As a Law and Ethics instructor for graduate students in therapy, I have often been frustrated at the lack of good, clear information available to students on the requirements of California law for mental health professionals. There are some great, general law and ethics textbooks out there, and a handful of books that provide the letter of California law (the one produced by the BBS is particularly useful), but nothing that helps specifically take California laws for masters-level psychotherapists and put them into plain English.
This guide to the basics of California law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, is an attempt to change all that. I bring a clinician’s and educator’s understanding to the legal requirements that govern marriage and family therapists, professional clinical counselors, and clinical social workers in the state of California. In these chapters, I do my best to make the most important requirements of the law easily digestible. Of course, it is still important to be able to look at the letter of the law — so this guide includes more than 400 footnotes, most with direct hyperlinks (in the electronic version) to California law on the web.
This text makes an excellent resource for students, interns, and licensed clinicians seeking an easy reference for important aspects of California law.
Takes California law and puts it into understandable language for clinicians
Fully annotated with more than 400 footnotes
The eBook format includes hundreds of hyperlinks to current California law on the web (paperback available too)
New in 2015
This major update from the 2014 edition integrates several recent key changes in California law and regulation, and new codes of ethics from the American Counseling Association (2014) and the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (2015). Substantive changes include:
- Reformatted to 6×9
- Added table numbers throughout
- Updated AAMFT and ACA ethics code references throughout
- Added ethics language to state line issue (ch 1)
- Added info on BBS intern hours proposal (ch 2)
- Updated chart of LPCC experience requirements (ch 2)
- Added info on exam subversion in social media (ch 3)
- Added new 7-year record retention standard (ch 3)
- Added info on uniform standards related to substance use violations (ch 3)
- Added info on social media to informed consent (ch 4)
- Added importance of defining who is the client (ch 4)
- Added new 7-year record retention standard (ch 5)
- Added new 24-hour reporting requirement for threat to others (ch 5)
- Added info on confidentiality in the internet age (ch 5)
- Added info on sexting legislation (ch 6)
- Added info on ban on reparative therapy for minors (ch 6)
- Clarified LPCC restriction on family work (ch 6)
- Added info on BBS cite-and-fine authority for advertisements (ch 8)
- Added new ACA requirements on web sites and social media (ch 8)
- Added info on networking groups (ch 8)
- Updated info on use of MFTI and PCCI in advertising (ch 8)
- Added info on ABD degree status (ch 8)
- Updated info on LPCCs and LCSWs use of testimonials (ch 8)
- Added info on telehealth organizations (ch 9)
- Added info on HITECH Act (ch 9)
- Updated chart of ethical requirements for use of technology (ch 9)
- Added note on unpaid internships in for-profit settings (ch 10)
- Added California’s reparative therapy ban as an example of effective advocacy (ch 10)
- Added list of tables (Appendix)
And of course, some typos have been fixed and some language cleared up where necessary.
Perhaps the best change, though, is the price. The third edition sells for $79, which is $20 less than previous editions.
- Scope of practice
- Licensing requirements
- Unprofessional conduct
- Confidentiality and privilege
- Exceptions to confidentiality
- Informed consent
- Working with minors
- Child abuse reporting
- Working with elders and dependent adults
- Elder and dependent adult abuse reporting
- Advocating for changes in the law
How to order
You can order the third edition of Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs on Amazon (paperback only), or you can order directly here.
By clicking the “Buy Now” button below, you will proceed to Shopify’s secure servers to purchase this text. To order the third edition through Shopify’s secure servers, use the cart buttons below. I never even see your credit card information.
Third edition (2015)
Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs
Third edition (2015) | In stock
Full reference info
Caldwell, B. E. (2015). Basics of California law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs (3rd edition). Los Angeles, CA: Author. ISBN: 978-0988875951.
Caldwell, B. E. (2014). Basics of California law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs (2014 edition). Los Angeles, CA: Author. ISBN: 978-0988875937.
Caldwell, B. E. (2013). Basics of California law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs (2013.1 edition). Los Angeles, CA: Author. ISBN: 978-0988875906.